Thursday, April 30, 2009

Fast Forward

Wow, now it's April. Olivia had her six month visit with Dr. Mendelow and her x-rays showed no change. It's a good thing that her curves have not progressed, but it would have been nice to see even a tiny change. Dr. Mendelow was not discouraged, as her growth has been so minimal and he does not foresee her growing much more.

Before we left his office, he told me about a Scoliosis Rehab Clinic in Wisconsin which he thought may be a benefit to her. He gave me some literature and encouraged me to check it out. From what I understand, this is not a type of therapy that a surgeon will normally recommend, so I feel very blessed that he has shared this with us and is on the consertative side.

I went home and immediately got on the Internet. I was intrigued, sent them an email and researched the program.

I received a response from the clinic the next day. They were totally encouraged that our orthopedic suggested them, as I was told most doctors are not too keen on this type of physical therapy. They were really impressed. They told me about the program and sent me a lot of information, including a long list of references.

I can not begin to tell you how many wonderful people I have been in touch with and all of the valuable information I have received.

We checked with our insurance company and they will cover a good part of the therapy.

Reservations are made. We will be there for two weeks, the middle of June. We will hit the road on Sunday, June 14th for a ten hour drive up to Stevens Point, WI. I'm glad it will be summer!

The program is for two full weeks, Monday through Friday, with two hours of therapy in the morning and two hours in the afternoon. They will send us home with a video, tons of information and a plan for continued exercise everyday at home, for thirty minutes, five days a week. It is going to take a commitment, but it is well worth it. We are encouraged.

As I'm typing this, I realized that I never posted any stats of Olivia's scoliosis. I'm too tired to remember all the numbers now, but will post them on my next post, hopefully sometime this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment