Saturday, May 16, 2009

RSC or Not?

At the suggestion of The Scoliosis Rehab Center, I contacted Grant Wood Ortho to see if they felt that Olivia would benefit with a RSC brace. I had previously asked Dr. Mendelow about it and he did not seem to feel that at this point it would be of any benefit to her. He told me that it would not hurt to talk to them about it, to see what they felt. He feels that the Providence Brace which she is currently in and that her Risser is a 4 switching to a RSC brace would most likely not make a difference at this point.


I sent Grant Wood her pathology reports, and this is what he had to say:

"I agree with what your doctor has stated thus far. A RSC brace might help, but normally it is not indicated at this age. However I have seen pts in the brace with Risser 4 and 5, some with ok results and some not making any change, therefore it would be up to your daughter and you to decide if it's worth the effort. "

So, that being said, we are going to stick with the Providence Brace. Dr. Mendelow feels that she will be out of it within six months.

I'm glad I contacted them. It gives me a peace of mind.

I must say, I am really impressed by their integrity. A part of me was expecting them to try to sell their product to us. I guess I'm somewhat of a skeptic.


No comments:

Post a Comment